What is Kratom?
By purchasing Kratom powder or any product related to Kratom from our website, you are aware that Kratom and the products sold here are not intended for human consumption. They are sold as a bulk botanical with no directions or claims of use. These statements and products have not been evaluated by Health Canada. You understand that this product is not intended to diagnose, treat, mitigate, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Believed to be grown originally in Thailand, the kratom plant has spread to the neighbouring countries in Southeast Asia, including Malaysia, Burma, Borneo, and others. Known by its scientific name Mitragyna Speciosa, the kratom tree belongs to the same family its more popular cousin, the coffee tree. Indonesia, and more recently Vietnam, have become the main suppliers of kratom to the world following shifts in the cultural and political landscapes in Thailand and the more proximate Southeast Asian countries.
A Brief History
- Historically, the kratom plants were a cultural icon in Southeast Asia, much like the popular Kava plant in the pacific islands. It was used primarily by the poorer farmers and labourers in Thailand and its neighbouring countries as a muscle relaxant and mild painkiller. In the 19th century, when opium use was rampant and global supplies were constantly in flux, kratom was used by the people as a substitute for opium when opium prices surged, or when stocks were depleted.
- It turned out to be incredibly effective as a substitute for opium, and was used to wean opium addicts once sweeping legislation was passed in Thailand and its neighbouring countries effectively outlawing the use of opium. Soon after, fabricated prescription pills were flooding in from the west, which advanced the process of making kratom illegal soon after the opium bans.
Strains and Veins
- The chemical makeup of a particular strain of kratom can be influenced by such factors as the contents of the soil, the average climate during the growth of the plant, and the location in which the kratom is grown. There are three more common strains, each with their own distinct appearance and chemical makeup
- Characterized by red veins running through the leaves, the reds had been used by the poor Thai workers as a means to relax their muscles after a hard day of physical labor, or as a substitute for opium during price surges.
- The red strains we offer are Red Bali, Red Maeng Da, and Red Riau.
- Characterized by distinct, green veins running through the leaves, the green strains had gained popularity in the 19th century as a daytime use strain. It provided the laborers energy to carry out their work and allegedly improved efficiency and work ethic in the humid climates of Thailand.
- The green strains we offer are Green Borneo, Green Maeng Da, and Green Malay.
- The white kratom leaf is most easily distinguished from other kratom leaves as the veins appear bright white, noticeably contrasting from the rest of the green leaf. These kratom leaves were found to relieve depressive symptoms and improve alertness, historically used as a replacement for coffee when coffee was in short supply.
- The white strain varieties we offer include White Maeng Da and White Sumatra.
- A recent addition to the kratom family, the yellow kratom derivative is very similar to the green kratom leaves, but is chemically composed of higher alkaloid content and is grown primarily in Vietnam. The weather characteristics of the Vietnamese climate are perfectly conducive to the growth of high quality kratom plants, and thusly the yellow strain has been the subject of the most exciting research in the kratom universe.
- The Yellow Vietnam variety is our only yellow strain offering.
- The Drug Enforcement Agency is considering making the kratom plant and its alkaloid constiuents a Schedule 1 drug, which would effectively halt any progress researchers have made up to this point in determining its effects when consumed. Schedule 1 status, of course, would imply there are no medical applications for kratom, and would make future research nearly impossible in the United States.